The PE curriculum at Chesterton develops the children's skills within PE, but also develops and promotes healthy lifestyles and aims to broaden children's knowledge of the different sports and physical activities.
Five Core areas of PE
- Acquiring and developing skills: Children acquire and develop skills using their bodies and sports equipment to allow them to take part in the different areas of PE and school sport.
- Selecting and applying: Children select and apply rules, strategies, skills, tactics, and compositional ideas across the different sports, strands of PE and activities which they complete.
- Evaluating and improving performance: Children learn how to evaluate their performance in the different sports and activities so they can be the best they can be.
- Lifestyle including knowledge and understanding of fitness and health: Children develop an understanding of the importance of a healthy lifestyle including why staying physically active is important to health and learn about eating healthily (cross curricular with PSHE and Science).
- Broad range of physical activities: children take part in a broad range of physical activities including dance, gymnastics, athletics, games, net/wall sports such as tennis and badminton, OAA and swimming (in selected year groups). This allows them to apply all the other pillars and give them an opportunity to start their journey into competitive sports.
PE and Sport at Chesterton Primary School
At Chesterton we strive to create a culture which aims to inspire an active generation to enjoy PE, encourage each other and achieve. We provide a safe and supportive environment for children to flourish in a range of different physical activities which is essential in supporting their physical, emotional, social and moral development.
We offer a broad range of physical activities to give children the opportunity to foster a love of being active through our PE curriculum. We encourage all children to develop their understanding of the way in which they can use their body, equipment and apparatus safely yet imaginatively. All children have the opportunity to enjoy being physically active, maintain a healthy lifestyle and using the medium of sport, increase their self-esteem. We aspire for children to adopt a positive mind-set and believe that anything can be achieved with determination and resilience.
The aim of Physical Education is to promote physical activity and healthy lifestyles. Children are taught to observe and produce the conventions of fair play, honest competition and good sporting behaviour as individual participants, team members and spectators. Thus embedding life-long values such as co-operation and collaboration.
We see the importance of children learning how to swim. We provide opportunities for children to learn how to stay safe by water whilst also meeting the National Curriculum requirements of swimming 25m by the end of Year 6.
Our PE Curriculum, along with PSHE and science, teaches children about the importance of healthy living and learning about the need for good nutrition.
At Chesterton we aim for children to develop the necessary knowledge and skills which will have a positive impact on their future by becoming physically active citizens to benefit their long-term health and well-being.
To find out more information please see the class page and download the current curriculum map